Insects are fascinating creatures that all share similar characteristics. Though some may find them creepy, some things about them are truly amazing!
Here are 25 Amazing Insect Facts:
- Most insects hatch from eggs.
- Insects don’t breathe through their mouths, but through holes in their exoskeletons.
- Insects live in just about every habitat on Earth.
- The only insect indigenous to Antarctica is the belgica antarctica.
- It is estimated that there are around thirty million species of insects on Earth, though only about 900,000 are known.
- The lifespan of insects is typically less than a year.
- Insects are cold-blooded.
- Most adult insects die off in the winter.
- All insects go through the same basic life cycle: egg, larvae, pupae, adult.
- There are about 1.4 billion insects for every human on Earth.
- Insects evolved from crustaceans.
- Insects typically move by walking, flying, or swimming.
- Most insects are solitary, except for ants, termites, and certain bees that live in large and well-organized colonies.
- The fastest running insect is the Australian Tiger Beetle, which can reach speeds of 5.6 miles per hour while chasing prey.
- The fastest flying insect is the Horse Fly, which can reach speeds up to 90 miles per hour.
- Fruit flies were the first living creatures to be sent into space.
- Grasshoppers existed before dinosaurs.
- Only male crickets chirp.
- Ants leave trails of pheromones as chemical signals that are used to communicate with each other.
- Termite queens can lay up to 7,000 eggs per day.
- The only known insect that can turn its head 360 degrees is the praying mantis.
- Male mosquitoes don’t bite humans.
- The lifespan of a Dragonfly is only 24 hours.
- Fireflies are actually beetles.
- Butterflies taste with their feet.
Ready to rid your house of self-grooming insects after reading these amazing insect facts? Contact us to find a provider near you!