As we exist in this time of uncertainty during this COVID-19 global pandemic, the most important thing is understanding how to protect your family’s health. Here are five key strategies to consider:
1. Practice Good Personal Hygiene
The key to stopping the spread of germs begins with good hygiene. This includes washing your hands regularly. Utilizing plain soap and water or a hand sanitizer with at least 70% alcohol content works best. Another practice of good hygiene is coughing or sneezing into your elbow. Even when you are around family, this practice is not only a healthy behavior, it is good manners.
2. Clean & Disinfect Common Areas and Surfaces Regularly
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommend cleaning and disinfecting surfaces routinely. Some items to consider are:
- All countertops and flat surfaces
- Remote Controls
- Electronics (i.e., laptops, mobile phones, gaming devices)
- Handles on doors, cabinets, appliances, and other
- Light switches, toilet flushers, sink/tub handles, and other commonly touched items.
Routinely emptying trash cans and running dishes and utensils through a dishwasher or hot, soapy water are also good practices.
3. Stay Home, Especially When You’re Not Feeling Well
Social Distancing is the newest buzzword and for good reason. The first recommendation is to stay at home and socially distance your family from others. This doesn’t mean you can’t take advantage of the beautiful outdoors, simply remain in your yard or neighborhood and away from other non-family members. If you must venture out for essential supplies, medical appointments, or essential work, it is recommended that you remain six feet or more from everyone to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
4. Keep Insects and Pests Out of Your Home
Insects and pests are notorious for causing health problems and structural damage. Your local pest management professional is an essential employee and ready to help assist in protecting your family’s health and the health of your home from pests. If you don’t already have a pest control contract, now is an ideal time to request one. In addition, many pest control companies are licensed to sanitize and disinfect your home to prevent the spread or acquiring of disease such as COVID-19.
Protect your home from the top down. One of the most commonly used access point for your home is the roof. Installing EPA-registered TAP® Pest Control Insulation in your attic helps control pests before they reach the living spaces of your home. The active ingredient in TAP® Pest Control Insulation is a naturally occurring mineral salt, Orthorboric Acid (Boron), and is also used as a disinfectant because it inhibits the metabolic processes of many organisms. Ask your pest management professional for more details or contact us.
5. Stay Calm and Relax
Your family’s mental health has taken a beating. The stress, worry, frustration, and fear of this pandemic is relentless. Remember, that taking time to breathe and get your mind off of the pandemic is essential to your overall health. Here are some ways to relax:
- Read a book or write one.
- Schedule a family game night. Break out the board games, popcorn, and laughter.
- Re-organize your closet, garage, or cabinets. Forgotten treasures are awaiting their re-discovery.
- Take your kids on a family history trip with photo albums, shared stories, and home movies.
- Schedule a virtual hangout with family and friends who are sheltering in place as well.
- Pick up a new skill (i.e., photography, a musical instrument, journaling, cooking, fitness, scrapbooking, genealogy, or others) you have always wanted to adopt but didn’t have the time. For example, Nikon is offering all their photography classes for free during the month of April.
- Exercise. Use the time at home to get your family in shape for the upcoming summer activities.
The key during any pandemic is to protect your family’s health. Taking recommendations seriously and carefully working to keep a clean and organized home is always wise.