One of the most common problems pest management professionals discover within the attics of their clients’ homes is insufficient insulation. There simply isn’t enough. Exposed floor joists, clear sight lines to the dry wall and an overworked HVAC system are a few of the tall tell signs.
Over the years, building codes strive to meet insulation standards recommended by the U.S. Department of Energy. Still, many homeowners find their attic is not insulated sufficiently to create the optimal thermal envelope necessary to reduce monthly energy costs.
Here is a simple guide for conducting your own attic insulation inspection:
1. Remember, the optimal time for an attic inspection is early morning or late evening due to the temperatures in the attic. Should you become hot and break into a sweat, remove yourself from the attic and drink a glass of ice water.
2. Prepare the following items to help you with your inspection:
- Tape measure,
- Writing utensil, and
- Sheet of paper or something to jot down measurements.
3. When entering the attic, use caution as you don’t want to end up plummeting through the ceiling and landing on the floor below. If you need to maneuver around, be sure to remain on the floor joists or use a safety board for safer mobility.
4. Use the tape measure to determine the depth of the insulation in a few different spots by placing the end of the tape measure into the insulation until you touch the drywall. Notate your discoveries on a sheet of paper or notebook.
Depending on the area of the country in which you live and the type of insulation in your attic, you should have between 13 and 17 inches of insulation. Anything less means that you are paying too much in energy costs.
INSPECTION TIP: Consider snapping a few photos to share with your pest management professional. Try to get capture insulation levels, tight spaces or corners, duct work, and any exposed wiring or lighting you see. These will be helpful in future conversations.
5. Contact your local pest management professional and discuss your options. TAP® Pest Control Insulation is an innovative cellulose insulation with proven thermal and acoustical properties as well as an added layer of pest protection for dealing with self-grooming insects such as ants, centipedes, cockroaches, darkling beetles, silver fish, termites, and more.
Visit our Find a Provider page here to locate a preferred provider in your area. TAP® Pest Control Insulation… helps keep bugs out – and comfort in!TM